Your mind is a powerful tool and it is connected to the body in almost magical ways. In fact, your body does not know the difference between what is real and what is imagined and will respond to your imagination, the way it does to reality. Just like your tongue will salivate at the very thought of your favorite salty treat, your body can achieve relaxation at the thought of a safe comfortable place. This month our compass will walk you through a guided imagery exercise in which you will use your mind and senses to achieve a state of calm. You will create a safe place, that is only known to you and whenever you are feeling stressed or in need of some R&R you can travel to your place using the power of your imagination.
Here are a few questions to help bring your safe place to life in your imagination whenever you need a few moments of relaxation:
- What are the physical dimensions? Is it indoors or outdoors? big or small?
- What do notice in front of you?
- What colors are there? What objects?
- Notice the smells
- What do you hear? Music? Waves?
- Notice the temperature?
- What other physical sensations does your safe place evoke?